Working for the Salvation Army has many benefits
For more than 130 years, The Salvation Army has had the privilege of serving vulnerable people in communities across Canada. Last year, we helped over 1.8 million people. The Salvation Army not only provides the necessities of life such as food, clothing and shelter, but our programs address needs such as language barriers, loneliness, unemployment and family challenges. Our services continually adapt to meet emerging needs.
Residential Worker A
ApplyInterested Applicants must respond in writing to:
Interested applicants must respond in writing and indicate “RESIDENTIAL WORKER A – CASUAL” in the subject line to:
We thank and acknowledge all applicants and will pro-actively contact those selected for interviews.
• Compliance with and ongoing enforcement of the Salvation Army Northern Centre of Hope policy and procedures.
• Knowledge of Policy & Procedures and on-going updates
• Enforce restriction policy regarding guests’ behaviour and hold guests accountable for following policy.
• Document Incidents and Restrictions on appropriate forms and submit for investigation
• Intake of new guests filling out proper documentation and assessing needs
• Enforce shelter rules and regulations as outlined in Policy and Procedures manual and in departmental memos.
• Accurately record day-to-day guest activities in Shelter log book and in Guest files
• Keep an open method of communication with peers and supervisors.
• Intake and discharge documents accurately filled out and filed in Guest binder
• Relay relevant information to peers during shift change or via e-mail (phone messages, in person messages)
• Notify Manager or designate regarding shift changes, sick time or vacation requests
• Fill out incident reports accurately and in a timely manner.
• Close files – hard copy and on BC Housing database
• Have a walkie-talkie on at all times
• Maintain a quiet and secure shelter environment for our guests, volunteers and staff.
• Ensure that conflicts are dealt with in a calm and professional manner.
• Assist guests with monitoring of medications to avoid abuse or misuse
• Supervise “Community” meals and assist to maintain order when needed
• Clothing and other donation distribution and sorting
• Proper inventory and storage of guest’s belongings
• Client/Shelter Laundry: sheets/towels/client belongings/donations
• Conduct daily room searches in the shelter and document accordingly
• Ability to work with difficult or emotionally needy people in a patient and compassionate manner
• Willing to pray with/for them when they request
• Maintain a record of all volunteer sign-ins for the facility daily
• Collect statistical information on volunteers in the facility and forward on to the manager
• Provide HR Admin staff with details on monthly meals and volunteers for SAMIS
• Collects donations, records appropriately and writes thank you letters
• Collect small cash donations and forward to the manager
• Collect some occupancy contributions and forward to the manager
• Provide meal tickets and maintain an accurate record of all purchased meals.
• Accept funds for meal tickets, monies are forwarded to the manager at the end of dinner
• In the absence of the manager, responsible for petty cash reimbursement
• Completion of up to two (2) years of Community College
• Immunization for Hepatitis B
• Vaccination against Tuberculosis
• WHMIS training
• Current Certification in First Aid/CPR
• Criminal Police Investigation Check (CPIC)
• Non-violent crisis intervention training
• One year but less than three years of prior related experience including, frontline work in a social services setting (with women/children), lifeskills and experience in a related field.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise Department Heads of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. Each position contributes to the mission of The Salvation Army.