Working for the Salvation Army has many benefits
For more than 130 years, The Salvation Army has had the privilege of serving vulnerable people in communities across Canada. Last year, we helped over 1.8 million people. The Salvation Army not only provides the necessities of life such as food, clothing and shelter, but our programs address needs such as language barriers, loneliness, unemployment and family challenges. Our services continually adapt to meet emerging needs.
Part Time Custodian
ApplyInterested Applicants must respond in writing to:
We thank and acknowledge all applicants and will pro-actively contact those selected for interviews.
• Handle general cleaning of the building, including administration area, warehouse, storage rooms, public areas, washrooms, front and back entrances
• Vacuuming, dusting, emptying garbage, mopping/washing floors, filling paper products and soap dispensers in all washrooms, cleaning of front foyers, windows and changing of light bulbs
• Wipe down walls, doors, counters, fridges, microwave as required
• Empty all garbage and transfer to outdoor bin
• Ensure Waste Management bins are emptied as scheduled
• Cleaning and degreasing of hood vent for Gathering Place kitchen as per fire regulations
• Maintain janitor closet in a clean, organized and safe manner
• Order janitorial supplies ensuring the most economical suppliers are utilized
• Perform seasonal duties as required, such as delivering containers to food drive locations, picking up and delivery of food drive donations to the warehouse
• Provide direction to CSO volunteers who assist with custodial duties
• Clearing of sidewalks and entrances during seasonal times of the year
• General facility maintenance to include keeping grounds free of litter, sweeping of sidewalks and parking lot, watering of lawn, shrubs and flowers
• Inspect building for possible repair and maintenance needs assessment
• Perform weekly check of the building to include fire extinguishers, emergency lighting notifying supervisor of any deficiencies
• Identify any property repairs requiring attention to Director
• Handle and/or perform any minor building repairs as required
• Handle on call for security response
• Responsible for fire log book and related inspections
• Complete maintenance inspection checklist on a monthly basis
• Ensure MSDS sheets are kept up to date and clearly marked in a visible area
• Move heavy furniture or equipment in accordance to instructions given
• Ability to work in compliance with The Salvation Army Mission Statement
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and customer services skills
• Track record of finishing assigned tasks effectively within limited time
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions
• Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Demonstrated aptitude to prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously
• Proficiency in general building cleaning, vacuuming, sweeping and mopping floors
• Knowledge of and ability to complete various small building repairs
• Follows safe operating procedures with janitorial equipment and product/chemical use
• Current WHMIS certificate
• Able to lift up to 50lbs
• Valid Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening
HOURS: 24 hours per week
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. Each position contributes to the mission of The Salvation Army.