Working for the Salvation Army has many benefits
For more than 130 years, The Salvation Army has had the privilege of serving vulnerable people in communities across Canada. Last year, we helped over 1.8 million people. The Salvation Army not only provides the necessities of life such as food, clothing and shelter, but our programs address needs such as language barriers, loneliness, unemployment and family challenges. Our services continually adapt to meet emerging needs.
Janitor and Security – Weekend Nights
ApplyInterested Applicants must respond in writing to:
Interested applicants must respond in writing and quote “Casual Night Janitor/Security with Reg Hours”.
We thank and acknowledge all applicants and will pro-actively contact those selected for interviews.
• Read and sign communication book daily.
• Sweep/mop dining room, kitchen floor and walk in cooler. Carts & floor mats need to be put back in place.
• Garbage to be removed from core areas, kitchen, Heights and Terrace laundry rooms. Flatten boxes and empty recycling bins.
• Buffing and waxing floors using heavy equipment.
• Sanitize elevator buttons (in/outside). Clean common area washrooms, remove garbage & restock if needed.
• Clean all offices daily, remove garbage & empty recycling boxes.
• Heavy black chairs in recreation room need to be vacuumed weekly. Wipe with damp cloth if need be.
• Sweep/mop wellness centre & photocopy room weekly. Clean counter tops, sink, empty shredder and garbage.
• Sweep/mop recreation room & photocopy room weekly. Empty garbage & shredder. Clean sink and counter top.
• Ambulatory clinic needs to be cleaned daily (Monday through Friday).
• Terrace garbage area in front of elevators to be swept/washed daily
• Kitchen ovens, stove tops & grills need to be cleaned by the weekend janitor weekly. Filters to be washed in the dishwasher.
• Potato peeler & walls around it need to be cleaned weekly on weekends.
• Tea room coffee machine to be cleaned/refilled when needed.
• Shovel & salt entrance ways when required.
• Accommodate requested duty assignments from Support Services Supervisor regarding unexpected work related situations that come up from time to time.
• Write in maintenance book requesting repair services.
• Inform Support Services Supervisor when supplies are getting low.
• Follow schedules and rotations of cleaning where applicable. Fill/sign in required check lists & return to Support Services Supervisor when completed.
• Keep outside stairwells and drains cleaned of leaves and garbage.
• Keep grounds and Gazebo clear of debris and garbage.
• Do security rounds inside of Heights, Terrace and core area including the garage every 2 to 3 hours. Change start of direction each time.
• Ensure all doors and windows are secure including stairwells.
• Notify Operations and Business Manager of plumbing, electrical and heating emergencies and arrange for emergency repairs.
• Provide emergency response to residents according to procedure at the Terrace and assist Heights as required.
• Ensure the evacuation of residents in case of fire/earthquake according to procedure.
• Receive phone calls to the complex.
• Perform other related duties as required.
• High school graduate.
• Building Service Worker Certificate
• Five years’ experience in janitorial or similar related position.
• WHMIS training/certificate.
• Experience working with seniors and/or individuals with cognitive and physical challenges preferred.
• Criminal Record Check
• TB Test
• Casual with regular weekend hours (13.5 hours per week)
• On Call – 24 hour facility
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise Department Heads of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. Each position contributes to the mission of The Salvation Army.