Working for the Salvation Army has many benefits
For more than 130 years, The Salvation Army has had the privilege of serving vulnerable people in communities across Canada. Last year, we helped over 1.8 million people. The Salvation Army not only provides the necessities of life such as food, clothing and shelter, but our programs address needs such as language barriers, loneliness, unemployment and family challenges. Our services continually adapt to meet emerging needs.
ApplyInterested Applicants must respond in writing to:
Major Dan Broome, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank and acknowledge all applicants and will pro-actively contact those selected for interviews.
Objective: To give oversight and vision to all aspects of the business activities including finance, personnel. Administrative, property & Thrift Store Operations for the Salvation Army Moose Jaw Ministry Unit
• Completion of up to two years’ Community College; although an alternative level of education may be acceptable.
• The incumbent must have the following experience before hire: One year but less than three years of prior related experience, including, accounting operations, supervisory, labour relations, and property management experience.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience maybe considered.
• Significant experience with computer usages and programs, including good working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheets
• Strong communication skills
• Strong organizational and administrative skills
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative, be reliable and operate in an environment of accountability
• Ability to lead, manage and work unsupervised and as a team player
• Prepared to sign a confidentiality statement
• Clearance under The Salvation Army’s Internal Abuse Registry and Formal Criminal Record Check
• Understanding of and support for the Mission and Ministry of The Salvation Army
• Work in cooperation with the Community Services Director and Family Services Coordinator regarding the preparation of budgets and fiscal management of the Ministry Unit, reviewing and verifying all financial statements and ensuring operations remain within budget as much as possible.
• Verify all invoices, coding and the timely payment of same and complete all needed bookkeeping entries.
• Review monthly expenditures from all departments noting discrepancies with budget.
• In consultation with Community Ministries Officer, authorize expenditures in relation to general maintenance and operations and seek approval from Divisional Headquarters (DHQ) for property expenditure greater than $1,000 or requiring funding from PMA.
• Prepare and distribute the accurate and timely completion of all monthly financial statements and records for Moose Jaw Complex as required.
• Make regular bank deposits of all monies and receipt all donations for the Moose Jaw Ministry Unit.
• Provide preparation and oversight for Internal Audits for Moose Jaw Ministry Unit.
• As per our service contract with the Ministry of Social Services, work with the Trustee Coordinator to conduct regular client account and trust account reviews and reconciliations including but not limited to: Monthly Bank Reconciliations-the balance recorded in the client account general ledger (sum of all trust accounts) must be reconciled to the month end bank account balance as reported by the financial institution
• Provide Certificates of Insurance for the Christmas Kettle Campaign
• Work in cooperation with the Community Services Director to ensure that complex/sorting Centre/thrift store properties are well maintained, dealing with concerns as soon as necessary, depending on severity of repair.
• Support all ministry personnel in assuring the efficient operation and maintenance of all required equipment.
• Give oversight to all service and equipment maintenance contracts.
• Maintain inventories of facilities updating annually with deletions and additions of equipment and furnishing, etc. and submitted to DHQ.
• Handle all rental contracts for outside groups using the building.
• Ensures Complex safety (i.e.: snow removal, clear fire exits, fire evacuation plan, spillage and ice removal) as per Policy & Procedures.
• Assist the Community Services Director with interviewing of proposed staff members and complete all hiring documentation and forward to DHQ for processing.
• Inform RAC of any staff and/or salary changes.
• Ensure the accurate recording of employee sick time and that employee vacation time is allocated.
• Submit all payroll data, confirming payroll data to be accurate and informing RAC of needed corrections.
• Handle employee payroll enquiries and assist in providing solutions
• seek guidance from and inform the Community Services Director regarding difficult situations or when conflict arises.
• Provide direct supervision to the Complex Receptionist/Secretary and Trustee Coordinator.
• Conduct annual performance appraisals for all direct reports.
• Complete official transfer form if employment is within another Salvation Army department and forward to DHQ
• Complete official exit documents when a staff is no longer employed with The Salvation Army.
• In conjunction with the Community Services Director conduct regular staff, supervisor and OHS meetings and forwarding the minutes to the appropriate people.
• In conjunction with the Thrift Store Supervisors identify available resources for special sales, promotions, inventory reductions and related activities, and to arrange for advertising accordingly.
• Willingness to work with and participate in various leadership management teams as required.
• Participation in the establishment of a ministry unit strategic plan.
• Other position related duties as assigned.
** Conditions of Employment:**
Job Type: Permanent Full-Time Position – 40 Hours per week
Location: The Salvation Army Moose Jaw – 175 1st Avenue N.E., Moose Jaw, SK
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. Each position contributes to the mission of The Salvation Army.