Working for the Salvation Army has many benefits
For more than 130 years, The Salvation Army has had the privilege of serving vulnerable people in communities across Canada. Last year, we helped over 1.8 million people. The Salvation Army not only provides the necessities of life such as food, clothing and shelter, but our programs address needs such as language barriers, loneliness, unemployment and family challenges. Our services continually adapt to meet emerging needs.
Administrative Assistant – (Employment Contract)
ApplyInterested Applicants must respond in writing to:
Captain Elaine Locke: Elaine_Locke@can.salvationarmy.org
We thank and acknowledge all applicants and will pro-actively contact those selected for interviews.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
Every position contributes to the spiritual and social services mission of The Salvation Army.
The Administrative Assistant position provides administrative and/or special project support for a Manager or team of managers/consultants.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB DUTIES:
The incumbent is responsible for the following range of job duties characteristic, or typical of the job class:
• Drafts and types correspondence (e.g. letters dealing with administrative issues, dictation, acknowledgements); checks typing for accuracy, sorts and prioritizes typing assignments within general guidelines
• Performs general office duties such as answers and screens telephone and directs enquires and answers inquires; greets and escorts visitors; files documents electronically or manually; photocopies and distributes materials as requested; and sends and receives fax/email material as requested; resolves routine inquiries
• Builds and maintains databases (e.g. employee/volunteer information, contact lists, inventory, hours worked); maintains input into Salvation Army Management Information System – S.A.M.I.S.
• Drafts and prepares presentations, brochures, flyers, advertisements, invitations, certificates subject to supervisory approval (e.g. power point presentations)
• Schedules meetings, prepares agenda, and takes minutes; types and circulates minutes
• Schedules or keeps track of supervisor’s calendar; makes travel arrangements; changes arrangements and provides reminders including support documentation
• Opens and distributes in-coming mail and processes out-going mail which may be of a confidential nature; receives parcel(s) and distributes to the appropriate person(s)
• May order all stationery supplies and maintain adequate office supplies and other supplies as needed (e.g. kitchen or lunchroom supplies); may maintain postage meter supply; may arrange for maintenance of office equipment
• Prepares and receives all paper work for various projects and processes (e.g. community service orders, ministry unit annual reviews)
• May handle and maintain petty cash and prepare receipts/invoices for customers or donors
• Performs other duties as assigned
NOTE: Not all incumbents perform all of the duties described above but perform a similar range of duties.
MINIMUM EDUCATION LEVEL ATTAINED:
The successful job applicant will have completed high school, plus specialized courses of up to six (6) months.
NOTE: An alternative level of education and experience may be acceptable.
MINIMUM PRIOR RELATED EXPERIENCE:
The incumbent must have the following experience before hire:
One year but less than three years of prior related experience, including, administrative experience and experience dealing with office equipment and tools.
PHYSICAL EFFORT/DEXTERITY REQUIRED:
The performance of the job requires a moderate amount of sitting, walking and keyboarding and occasionally standing, bending, and lifting up to 10 pounds.
The performance of the job requires a moderate amount of computer/word processing, directing visitors and telephone calls, attentive listening, and occasionally sorting mail and filing.
Working Conditions: 20 hours per week – Contract position until June 2018
CLOSING DATE: Friday October 20th, 2017
Please send your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
50 Gesner Street, Halifax, NS B3M 4H4
Please note any offer of employment will be conditional upon a background check.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
PLEASE NO PHONE CALLS
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. Each position contributes to the mission of The Salvation Army.