Working for the Salvation Army has many benefits
For more than 130 years, The Salvation Army has had the privilege of serving vulnerable people in communities across Canada. Last year, we helped over 1.8 million people. The Salvation Army not only provides the necessities of life such as food, clothing and shelter, but our programs address needs such as language barriers, loneliness, unemployment and family challenges. Our services continually adapt to meet emerging needs.
Temporary Full Time Assistant Teacher (Summer Student)
ApplyInterested Applicants must respond in writing to:
Margaret Wong: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank and acknowledge all applicants and will pro-actively contact those selected for interviews.
• To work as part of the day care team
• To work as part of the classroom teams to implement program activities
• Interact with the children to provide support, care and note information which can be used by the team to modify programs
• Assist in setting up and supervising playrooms, ensuring all necessary toys and equipment are set out in accordance with established programs and that the room and toys are kept in clean condition
• Assist children in regular washroom, lunchtime, snack time and sleep time routines in accordance with pre-established procedures
• Help set up and supervise playground activities and organize indoor gym activities during periods of inclement weather
• Maintain positive communication with parents through daily contact
• Participate in parent nights and special events such as Christmas concerts, fundraising, field trips, church programs, etc.
• May assist in safely escorting children on trips outside the center
• Perform specific duties assigned such as taking daily attendance, taking out garbage
• Responsible that all forms, newsletters etc. are distributed to the parents in a timely manner
• Attends staff meetings, general meeting and professional workshops as required
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Designate if Supervisor is away
• Washing, cleaning and maintaining of toys for classrooms when scheduled
• Care and maintenance of all equipment related to Day Care
• Responsible to report all maintenance problems to the Supervisor
• May be asked to supply in a classroom when another staff member is absent from the center
• Will be working in various classrooms depending on staff schedule, day care routine and needs of the center
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• The applicant must meet the eligibility requirements for hiring under the Canada Summer Jobs program
• Must have been a full-time student in 2016-17 academic year and be returning to full-time enrollment in 2017-18
• Preference would be given to those who have previous experience working in a Day Care or working with groups of children
• Enrollment in a post-secondary education program preferred
• Must be available for full 7-9 weeks of the program
• Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening completed and approved before commencement of employment
• Communication skills in order to work with children, parents and other staff
• Written skills to write accident reports if necessary
• Update Medical completed
• CPR and Standard First Aid Training
• Able to work within a Christian atmosphere and to promote the goals of the program and the mission of The Salvation Army
• Possess leadership qualities, be organized, hardworking, dedicated and creative
• Must complete all required online trainings prior to start day
• Be able to provide two references (1 from an employer/supervisor and 1 from a family friend/pastor/teacher
HOURS: 40 hours per week
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. Each position contributes to the mission of The Salvation Army.