The most recent American Idol, Kris Allen, recently visited Haiti and toured The Salvation Army camp in Port-au-Prince. With the intent of bringing awareness to relief efforts in Haiti, Kris visited with staff, played with children and, through an interpreter, spoke with camp residents.
During his visit, Kris helped with the Army’s registration process issuing new ration cards as part of a new UPS Trackpad program. The Salvation Army is replacing handwritten paper index cards with high-tech barcode technology to ensure that families receive food, shelter and medical supplies in a highly efficient manner. UPS donated the technology and adapted it for disaster relief supply distribution.
- 2,900 tents have been delivered
- more than 19,000 individual patients have received medical care
- 500,000 gallons of water has been supplied
- 16 cargo flights have delivered supplies
- more than 3 million meals have been delivered
As of February 23, 2010: