If you asked Patricia, she’d tell you that The Salvation Army helps mothers provide nutritious meals for their families. Paul would share that The Salvation Army offers people with addictions the opportunity to break their dependency on drugs and alcohol. Keith would highlight how The Salvation Army helps former offenders reintegrate into society and gain new life skills. And the 1.8 million people helped last year by The Salvation Army have their own stories to tell.
Here are additional reasons to support The Salvation Army:
• The Salvation Army has a proven track record that goes back 130 years in Canada. It is now one of the world’s largest providers of social services.
• The Salvation Army helps one person at a time, believing that each person is infinitely valuable and equally worthy.
• The Salvation Army is present in 400 communities across Canada and in more than 120 countries around the world, offering services in 175 different languages.
• The Salvation Army follows Imagine Canada’s Ethical Fundraising and Financial Accountability Code, which guides the treatment of donors and the public, its fundraising practices and financial transparency, and is accountable for doing so.
• The Salvation Army manages its administrative and fundraising costs in a reasonable manner given the size and scope of the organization in order to provide the best programs and services that deliver transformative outcomes for the people it serves (view Annual Review).
• All funds donated to The Salvation Army are used by The Salvation Army or agencies of which it is a member.
• The Salvation Army has a full system of accounting processes and internal controls. There are policies and procedures governing expenditure approval levels, reimbursement of business related expenditures, segregation of accounting duties, internal audits, etc.
• Its social and community service programs focus on nurturing the capacities, skills and strengths of individuals rather than just giving them a hand out.
• All social and community services are equally available without discrimination.
And the best reason is that when you support The Salvation Army, you’re helping bring hope and dignity to those in need.