And they’re off! With kids going to college/university, many parents are living in an empty house. Whether you are delighting in the empty nest or mourning its loss, here are some tips to help you survive the transition.
1. Write down all the things you’d promised yourself you’d get around to doing one day. Pin this list somewhere obvious and start working through it.
2. Build new friendships or revive lapsed ones. Friends are an important part of your transition from full-time parent to person-at-home-without-kids. There will be other empty-nesters like you looking for friendship too.
3. Take up a new hobby or interest. Or revive an old one that you allowed to lapse while raising children.
4. Go back to school or university. Select a course that you feel resonates with you at this point in life.
5. Consider volunteering. Doing something positive with your free time can be very fulfilling.
How are you coping with your transition to the empty nest?