According to Statistics Canada, 84% of the population aged 15 and over make financial donations to charitable or other non-profit organizations. So, what makes a charity worth your support?
The Canada Revenue Agency maintains a searchable list of Canadian charities (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/lstngs/menu-eng.html). You can use the charities listings to:
- confirm whether a charity is registered under the Income Tax Act and is therefore eligible to issue official donation receipts for income tax purposes;
- view a charity’s information return;
- learn more about a charity’s financial information (assets, liabilities, income, and expenditures);
- learn more about the activities of a registered charity; and
- find out how to contact a charity.
Why do you support The Salvation Army? Why not?